Dear BRC Families,
Impacts to VA, MD and Eastern NC will depend on the storm track, but at this time expected impacts from wind and rain remain limited. Minor tidal flooding is possible late this weekend increasing into early next week due to the long period east swell and easterly winds. Heaviest rain from Hurricane Irma will remain primarily along and east of the storm track. Rain chances increase from south to north Monday and persist through the evening and into Tuesday. Highest rainfall totals will be in the west and least in the northeast. Rain chances will persist through mid-week as Irma stalls, weakens and eventually turn east. Exact rainfall amounts and impacts continue to trend down, but could change with later forecasts.
General Protocols for Natural Disasters are as followed:
- We want to share our plans for Storm preparation, as the safety of your child is our top priority.
- We are receiving regular weather forecast updates and meeting daily to review preparation plans.
- We have food, water, and supplies on hand for 3 days.
- We have a backup generator in the case that we lose power. When power goes out, hospitals are given priority in terms of getting power back on. We share the electric grid with the Sentara Hospital across the street, so our power is usually brought back up quickly.
- We are having “drills” to prepare the children should we have to move them to higher ground.
- In the event that water levels rise, we have plans to evacuate to the second level of the education and clinical buildings.
- Plans include having activities and entertainment available for the children.
- In the highly unlikely event that we have to evacuate the campus, we will follow the Norfolk Emergency Management Plan instructions about where to re-locate. We have made sure we have enough vehicles for transportation.
- We have staff standing by prepared to come in. We have hotel rooms close by reserved for staff in case roads are closed.
- We have staff that has been through storm events at RTCs in past years.
- The storm may knock out our phones, or our phones may be extremely busy with parents calling in.
- Know that your children will be protected and cared for as if they were our own, and we will update you as we can via our website.
Contact Information below. Refer to your dorm contact list to reach children and direct care staff.
Rob McCartney, Chief Executive Officer
Contact # 757-510-1227
Charlene Hoobler, Chief Operations Officer
Contact # 512-422-7095
Justin Hoover, Director of Operation
Contact # 757-362-8343