As of 5 p.m., Norfolk and other parts of southeastern Virginia are under a Tropical Storm Watch. A watch means that tropical storm conditions could occur within 48 hours.
The Barry Robinson Center staff continue to closely monitor Hurricane Florence as it churns toward the East Coast. The Center is operating under normal conditions, with residents and staff continuing regular daily routines.
Impacts to our area will depend on the storm’s track, with the hurricane projected to make landfall on Friday, September 14, along the southern North Carolina coast. Potential impacts to our region remain uncertain, but could include moderate storm surge, high winds and flooding rains.
Here are our General Protocols for Natural Disasters:
- We want to share our plans for storm preparation, as the safety of your child is our top priority.
- We are receiving regular weather forecast updates and meeting daily to review preparation plans.
- We have food, water and supplies on hand for three days.
- We have a backup generator in case we lose power. When power goes out, hospitals receive priority for restoration. We share the electric grid with Sentara Leigh Hospital across the street, so our power is usually brought back up quickly.
- We are having drills to prepare the children should we have to move them to higher ground.
- If water levels rise, we have plans to evacuate to the second level of the
- education and clinical buildings.
- Plans include having activities and entertainment available for the children.
- In the highly unlikely event that we need to evacuate the campus, we will follow the Norfolk Emergency Management Plan instructions about where to re-locate. We have enough vehicles for transportation.
- We have staff standing by prepared to come in. We have reserved hotel rooms close by for staff in case roads are closed.
- We have staff who have experienced severe storm events at RTCs in the past.
- The storm may knock out our phones, or our phones may be extremely busy with parents calling in.
- Know that your children will be protected and cared for as if they were our own, and we will update you via our website.
Contact Information below. Refer to your dorm contact list to reach children and direct care staff.
Rob McCartney, Chief Executive Officer
Charlene Hoobler, Chief Operations Officer
Justin Hoover, Director of Operations