Healthy bodies are the homes of healthy minds, which is why recreational therapy is a cornerstone of treatment at The Center. Our extensive recreation therapy program gives residents the physical exercise they need and allows them to try new activities without judgment or embarrassment.
Our recreational offerings include:
- Team sports. Our modern and open gym is a great place for kids to play volleyball, badminton and basketball. Our beautiful 32-acre campus also has plenty of room for residents to play baseball, soccer, field hockey and tennis.
- Equine outing. Our equine program is one of our most popular programs. Residents are paired with horses at a stable off campus. Twice a week for six weeks, residents interact with and care for a horse. As the residents gain self-confidence, they are allowed to lead the horses around the ring. On the final day of the program, residents can look forward to the reward of a horseback ride.
- Rock wall. Our on-campus rock wall lets resident tackle their fears by confronting a challenge that seems bigger than them. Muscles and self-confidence get a healthy workout, and within just a few weeks, most residents take on the wall without fear.
- Animal-assisted therapy. Two therapy dogs, along with their handlers, regularly visit the campus. Children who have endured trauma and abuse often act out what they learned by harming animals. Being with the dogs teaches children how to respect and care for animals.
- Girls on the Run. A program founded on positivity, Girls on the Run is an innovative approach to exercise and health. Girls learn to work together to achieve common goals through journaling, talking and running together. They can even train to take part in a community 5K.
- Scouts. The Center’s Scout troop and Cub Scout pack give participants the chance to learn skills and earn patches. We are also proud that a local Eagle Scout chose our campus for his project – an outdoor garden that’s the perfect place to relax, either alone or with friends.
- Additional special events. Our recreational opportunities include something for everyone, from trips to local theater productions to talent shows and paint nights.
Staying active is the key to a healthy body and a healthy mind. When residents find an activity they love, they embrace it and channel their energy into it. Offering such a wide range of activities at The Center ensures each resident can find something he or she enjoys.